Saturday, December 15, 2007

Madeira to Caribbean - Day 6

Another beautiful day in the Atlantic Ocean and our third straight flying the cruising chute. We can't imagine making this trip without spinnakers! We had more wind enabling us to log 173nm and average 7.2kts, which is getting closer to Eve's overall average. At some point Joseph got a nibble on his fishing line because something chomped off half the lure. (Maybe a good thing this one got away?) So as you can tell, things afloat are looking up. Plus we've adjusted to the motions of the sea and our night schedules so we're doing more than just sailing, eating and sleeping. The guys have been practising celestial navigation and I've been working on a web project.
For the second year in a row I celebrated my birthday at sea. (Turned 39, again.) For my birthday I got a shower, a shorter night watch and we each got to enjoy a cold beer with our Tex-Mex inspired lunch. However, the best part of the day was the nice unexpected emails I received from friends even though they knew I was at sea and probably wouldn't see emails for days. My captain has recently started using SSB (single side band radio) to download shadow mail from our gmail accounts. (Shadow mail shows us who has sent an email and the subject line.) Each day I get to select a few for retrieval and then sometime during the night my captain performs magic with the SSB and I get the full email text to read. So, if anyone wants to send me a quick message you can email me and place a short message in the subject line or enough info to know I should try to retrieve it when the air waves allow. Heads up though, for now this is only working in one direction so I won't be able to respond.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: