Monday, April 14, 2008

No Scurvy Here

For weeks I have been trying to persuade my captain to delay our journey north. Ever since my wish was granted (due to weather uncertainty near Bermuda), the sky above St Martin has been filled with dark clouds gifting showers and her waters rough from wind. Since this weather has made outside activities less inviting, I started reading my book selection intended for the passage.


And since this uncharacteristic weather has continued, I finished my book. Scurvy, by historical writer Stephen R Brown, combines maritime, medical and exploration history to explain the greatest medical mystery during the Age of Sail and reveals how scurvy was a crucial link in the chain of events that shaped the world as we know it. Despite already knowing the importance of Vitamin C, I found myself popping an extra Vitamin C tablet each day I absorbed this interesting read.

No comments: