Monday, July 30, 2007

Dun Laoghaire

I am living on a real dock (not tied to a mooring, between two poles or at anchor) for the first time in the history of Event Horizon being my home sweet home. I will call slip T55 at Dun Laoghaire Marina home through August and you can be sure I will enjoy every moment while I temporarily live the high life.

Dun Laoghaire Marina is nestled within two breakwaters built by the government specifically to accommodate the marina which opened in 2001. The marina was expanded earlier this year resulting in over 700 berths and top-notch dock facilities, including a new barge with four private cabins each with a shower, toilet, sink and seating. Thankfully this barge is located near the visitor berths (and my home) because it is a hike to the other end of the dock where the main facilities (including laundry) are located and you exit to shore.


The marina is a short stroll from the town centre with all amenities and things to do. The town of Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Leary) is located on the south shores of Dublin Bay and is a stop along the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit railway) route, which is convenient for getting around. Now if I can get caught up on communications and work, there is much to explore.

No comments: