Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Bermuda Sea Turtles

Even Horizon, my home, is currently on a mooring on the west-end of St Georges Harbor, which is on the east end of Bermuda. Upon arrival I was intrigued by the turtle crossing signs posted along the shoreline and on nearby marks. It was days before I finally spotted one, but now, as if they have welcomed me to the neighborhood, I have had many turtles visit. Knowing many turtle species are now endangered, I went online to see if I could learn more about my neighbors.

Apparently Bermuda has a healthy, large population of sea turtles and is believed to be a sea turtle nursery for the Caribbean region. The islands that make up Bermuda are surrounded by lush sea-grass beds, healthy coral reefs, and crystal-clear, unpolluted waters which provide perfect habitat for young green turtles and hawksbills according to the Bermuda Turtle Project.

Five of the worlds seven sea turtle species are known to occur in Bermuda waters!

Since sea turtles are air-breathing reptiles, they must come to the surface to breath every few minutes. This is when, in my neighborhood, you are often rewarded with a close-up look at one of these beautiful creatures.

No comments: