Thursday, September 02, 2010

Preparing for Earl

Our hurricane strategy has always been to run. Run to a hurricane hole in Maine. But then Earl came along and has kept the experts guessing with disagreeing computer weather models and us reluctant to move from our sheltered mooring in Wickford Cove. 

The boat traffic into our marina is proof that many boats are opting to get lifted. My captain is forecasting Earl will barely clip Nantucket, plus we feel safer and more in control afloat (verses on stands on land) so as the storm moves closer we have decided to stay. We have removed all canvas from Eve’s deck, turned her around so she will face into Earl's wind, attached extra spring lines to our mooring poles (our "mooring" is between two poles, 60-feet apart), and if needed will drop an anchor.

No comments: