Friday, June 27, 2008

Nantucket

As I've mentioned a time or two before, I'd rather be out sailing and one of my favorite summer destinations is Nantucket... By sail from Rhode Island it's wise to make this a two-day passage otherwise you need to carefully plan departures according to the tides, especially in Vineyard Sound. My captain and I usually opt to spend a night off one of the Elizabeth Islands or Martha's Vineyard before completing our journey.

Upon arrival to Nantucket Harbor we contact Nantucket Moorings on VHF channel 68 to rent one of their secure moorings. (During high summer season make reservations before you set sail.)


On this visit my friends and I explored Nantucket by peddling down her many bike paths and picturesque dirt roads. (There are numerous excellent bicycle rentals on the island, many of them near Steamship Wharf where the ferries arrive.)


The highlight of our cycling day was a long rest stop at Cisco Brewery were we taste tested their tasty micro brews...


and then we went into their Nantucket Vineyard tasting room...and finally we entered their spirits distillery where we tasted surprisingly delicious infused vodkas made with their popular Triple Eight Vodka. Each tasting costs a fee but each is worth it. Next time I'll pack a picnic to enjoy at one of Cisco's outside tables while sipping their many fine libations.

No comments: